Tuesday, April 7, 2015

10 ways to plan ahead and get more out of your week

If you are like me, you are constantly striving to get more done each day and spend more quality time with your family.  There's nothing like running from one activity to the next, pulling meals together in a hurry and jetting out the door with five bags, a coffee cup and two kids in tow.  I often wonder what I did with all of my time before I became a mother.  I am still trying to invent the eighth day of the week, allowing me to squeeze just a wee little bit more out of life.

I am an avid multi-tasker and well-known planner.  I plan my days and weeks to make sure that, (a) the things that need to get done are completed and (b) the things that I want to do with my family and for myself are also addressed.  This includes fun family activities, one-on-one time with the kids and my spouse and time for myself.

Here are ten ways to plan ahead and get more out of your week:
  1. Look at the week at a glance.  Review your family's schedule every Sunday.  Review kids activities, business meetings, and special events.  But, most importantly look at the FREE TIME.  Spot where you may have an evening free and plan something fun with the family, a date night with your spouse, or a girls night with your friends.  Or designate that time to check some things off of your to do list.
  2. Meal planning and preparation.  Over the weekend, take inventory of your refrigerator and pantry.  Plan your meals for the week and make a list of items you need to fill in the gaps, and add produce.  Use this time to cut up fresh fruits and veggies and pack to-go snacks and lunches for the kids during the week.   
  3. Make one grocery trip.  After you've made your grocery list, make sure that you are only heading to the store once each week.  So often, we head to the store to pick up a few extra things here and there.  This not only uses up our free time, but it can also add to our grocery bill.  Devote one shopping trip per week - and stick to it.
  4. Prioritize your errands.  Look at your family's schedule and decide which errands need to be run.  Pick up a birthday gift, make a bank deposit, run to the post office for stamps, visit a relative.  Decide how these errands can be grouped together, completed at one place or maybe some of them can be done online - including mobile deposit.  Maybe even some of them can be done during another family outing or while the kids are at an activity.
  5. Schedule your workouts.  If you are trying to squeeze in a thirty minute yoga class or a three mile run, try dividing them up into two or three smaller segments.  Squeeze in time for yourself when you can.  Put these workouts on your calendar, just like any other appointments you have.
  6. Outfits for an entire week.  I really enjoy setting my clothes and accessories out for the week on Sunday.  I often do this for my kids as well.  Sometimes the weather can be iffy, but planning ahead (and dressing in layers) can save your family lots of time in the morning.  This also ensures that your family is getting use out of their entire wardrobe and not just a few favorite items.
  7. Automate the laundry.  Designate one or two evenings a week that you can devote to laundry.  I've become very fond of the delayed timer on my washing machine. I often set it to go off one hour before I wake up, so that I can put in the dryer when I wake and then fold before I leave.  I also set the timer, so that another load is completed when I arrive home from work.  Have your family pitch in, by folding and putting away their own piles.
  8. Mid-day multi-tasking. Use your lunch hour for a walk, to pay bills, run errands, respond to emails or write out to do lists.  You will be surprised with how much you can get completed in thirty undistracted minutes.  Over five days, that is like gaining 2-3 hours at home each week.
  9. Clear your inbox.  Set aside ten minutes each morning to respond to personal emails.  Clear your mind and your inbox. 
  10. Become an early riser.  Set your alarm fifteen minutes early to get one item crossed off of your to do list each week.  Whether it be cleaning a bathroom, going for a walk or reading a chapter of your favorite book over coffee, use those fifteen minutes to do something that feel you need to get done that day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment