Friday, March 27, 2015

Sun Prairie Learn to Skate Program

After a family outing to an ice rink in Milwaukee, my seven-year-old son expressed an interest in learning to skate.  He enjoyed the independence and non-competitiveness atmosphere that skating brought with it.  He isn't currently too interested in competitive sports or ball sports.




I researched upcoming skating opportunities online and found that Sun Prairie Ice Inc's Learn to Skate Program was offering a program the very next day.  Great timing!  My daughter has taken a class at the new ice arena, located adjacent to the new Sun Prairie High School on Sun Prairie's east side.  My son hadn't expressed any interest at the time.








We signed him up for the Basic 1 class and he started that week.  There were six to seven participants in each class.  Two were boys and the rest were girls.  There were also a few other small classes occurring at the same time and this was not distracting for the class.  He was enrolled in the 5:15-5:45 pm class.  I noticed that the 5:45 pm classes seemed to have much more participation.



After three or four weeks I saw him really improving on his ability to stop himself.  They played a lot of Red Light; Green Light, which helped him control his skates.  He also got much better at skating backwards and other tasks his instructor asked them to do.  My son's main goal was to "skate really fast".  I'm not sure if he really improved in that area, but he definitely gained some skills that will help him out on the ice in the future.

The cost was $85 for six sessions and skate rental was included.  The class met once per week for the duration of six weeks.

For parents and siblings that are spectating, I would suggest dressing warmer than you expect (layers) and bringing a warm blanket to sit on.  I often brought a book to read, but found the class so entertaining, that I rarely flipped a page!

I'm evening thinking of taking some adult skating lessons myself, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment