Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Thrift Shops in Sun Prairie

I love garage sales and am an avid thrift store shopper.  I love finding a treasure among the organized racks and piles of used items.  I get satisfaction out of finding a new purpose for things and a new home for fun finds.  I enjoy finding unique clothing with fun embellishments and made by unique brands.  Most of my children's clothing has been purchased this way.  I also purchase things for myself, as well as items for organizing and decorating my home.
 
A friend and I planned an afternoon for visiting thrift stores in Sun Prairie.  In the past year, Sun Prairie has gained two of our very own thrift stores. 
 
During this trip, we visited:

Society of St. Vincent DePaul
1110 West Main Street, Sun Prairie
 
Goodwill
2111 McCoy Road, Sun Prairie
 
I also enjoy browsing the shelves at Savers and Goodwill on Madison's eastside.  I find Savers to be especially clean, well organized and decently priced.
 
 
Before you leave the house, take an inventory of clothing/sizes your family may need for the current or upcoming seasons.  Look into jackets, boots and other seasonal items that you need to purchase every single year.  Look at organizational projects you are planning in the home, garage or basement.  You can find several fun baskets or containers at thrift stores, for a fraction of the cost.
 
Always start with a cart when you enter the store.  You just never know what you're going to find!  Also, allow yourself plenty of time.  Time can pass by very quickly while you are searching through deals and looking for specific sizes for every member of your family.  We visited both stores and spent the entire afternoon at these two locations.

I find that sometimes thrift stores price their items way to high for used items.  I also note that prices are drastically higher than garage sales.  However, if you shop sales right and are picky about what you purchase, you can find a lot of really good deals.  Some items are even new with tags.
 
My family has also enjoyed finding several new books and completing book series over the year, by visiting thrift stores.
 
 
 
We were happy to find that there were also discounts on winter apparel and coats, during the first week of April.  At St. Vincent DePaul, we received 50% off of the ticketed prices.
I also had a Bucky Book coupon for Goodwill, for buy one apparel item/get one free (up to $4.29).
 
Many of the thrift stores also offer loyalty cards.  You either receive gift cards or automatic cash back on future purchases that you can redeem each time or accumulate for a larger purchase.

My daughter needed pants and jeans for next fall.  She also requested a black "leather" jacket.  I not only found one, I found three to choose from.  The pants were almost all half-off and had a lot of fun details on them.

 
Here's what I purchased:
 
St. Vincent DePaul

3 pairs of jeans for my daughter
1 blouse for my daughter
3 brand name sweat shirts for my daughter
1 hat for my son
1 pair Athleta pants for myself
1 blouse for myself
1 DVD

Total:  $75.97
- $28.79 discount on winter apparel
- $2.80 loyalty points
Total:  $46.97
 

Goodwill

1 black leather jacket for my daughter
1 pair shoes for my daughter
2 blouses for my daughter
1 Sun Prairie sweatshirt for my daughter
2 notebooks for my daughter
1 large bag of Sharpie markers and gel pens

Total:  $28.60
- $4.29 Bucky Book coupon
Total:  $24.31


No comments:

Post a Comment